The brutal solitary murder of Lina Marciano remains unresolved

It was 1979, and four bodies had turned into a remote stretch of rugged bush near the town of Truro in the Mount Lofty Ranges, 90 km north-east of Adelaide.

At the time, Adelaide was known as the “City of Churches”, but a series of twisted and horrific murders is far more sinister reputation.

The first body that he had done the year before, on Anzac Day, 1978, when the local from Truro were out looking for mushrooms.

Bill and Valda Thomas found what they thought was the leg bone from a cow in the bush near the Swamp Road outside of Truro.

Valda reflected on the find, and two days later convinced her husband to take a closer look.

Upon return, saw that the bone was connected to a shoe and, inside, it was human skin and painted toenails.

The police went to the area, which was desolate and rarely visited. In the vicinity of the site of the discovery, they found the clothes, blood stains, and more bones.

The remains were identified as those of 18-year-old girl Veronica Knight, who had vanished from an Adelaide street at Christmas in 1976.

Bodies bush: The scrub outside of the small town of Truro, where five of the seven girls killed in a series of murders have been found.

A forensic policeman with a human arm found with a woman’s sandal and other bones in Truro.

Charismatic psychopath Christopher Worrell.

Aerial Worrell body of the landfill.

No obvious cause of death led people to believe that the Knight may have gone hiking in the area, get lost and die of thirst.

The death was deemed not suspicious.

Twelve months later, bushwalkers found more human remains in the same position.

This skeleton has been identified as belonging to Sylvia Pittman, 16, who had disappeared around February of 1977.

This was a man of burial ground?

A team of police returned to conduct in-depth research in a challenging area where there was no water, no electricity, and no communication.

Eleven days later, they found two skeletons in a fence on the opposite side of the Swamp Road.

The Detective came to the conclusion: a serial killer, and this was his dumping ground.

But other than that, they had very little in terms of clues.

It would be an unsolved murder from the previous 12 months and 80 km, which would be the path to the resolution of what would become known as the Truro murders.

At 6.40 pm on March 1, 1978, a Wednesday, the 19-year-old Lina Marciano had left his home in Wayville in Adelaide, within the southern outskirts on his Honda bike.

Lina Marciano was brutally murdered, but the police still do not know why, and who did it.

Police at the Dry Creek landfill, where Lina Marciano was found beaten and stabbed to death.

Bin (circled) where Lina’s body was wrapped in a tent.

The 19-year-old loved the music. Photo: Naomi Jellicoe.

Police outside a class in Nailsworth Primary School, where the girl that was killed was to have participated, Greek, dance lessons.

She drove the 10km to the Nailsworth Primary School, where he was due to join a Greek dancing class.

Lina never made the class, nor did he return to the house.

“A vibrant and enrgetic teenager, Lina was the kind of person that has blocked for people in bad situations or when he thought of being treated unjustly.

“His family would ask who could have taken advantage of her that night, and how she could have the terrible fate that she did,” Lina’s sister, Teresa Kellett, said in the

Four days later, Lina’s body was found bound, gagged and wrapped in a brown curtain on a garbage dump, 8 km north of Adelaide, the industrial suburbs of Dry Creek.

She had been strangled with a Hot Track Road Racing cable, beaten with multiple blows to the head, strangled, stabbed him to the heart, and he had several broken fingers.

Two curtains made from the same material, which was then brought back to the manufacturers in Germany or Belgium, have been found among the wastes in the same dump.

The tents were of the blood and fibres on them, and a third curtain was, several hundred yards away.

The police examination of Lina’s body determined she had died in a frenzied attack with the knife and shots that both could have been fatal.

As a now retired detective Allen Arthur told Channel 9’s City of Evil, the series “it was a horrific scene simply because it was excessive and she was sort of dumped like garbage.”

Lina blue and white, the motorcycle was found in a KFC restaurant car park in front of Nailsworth school, which had at least arrived for the dance class.

And it was particularly brutal murder, but as the months rolled up in 1978, investigating the police came up with some new clues.

Mushroomers bones found in bushland near Truro, and thought he was a cow.

Veronica Knight remains were the first found.

Bushwalkers found Sylvia Pittman, the skeleton of a year after.

After the fourth body was found in Truro (above) the police knew that he was a serial killer on their hands.

By May 1979, the Adelaide media and the public had become obsessed with the four bodies located in Truro.

The police decided to look for links to the Lina Marciano homicide and major crime squad boss Ken Thorsen assigned Detective Sergeant Bob Giles to collect the cards of disappeared people.

At that point in time, the missing files were on a card system and required systemic and patient sorting.

Giles came up with a connection.

I can’t find anything on Lina Marciano, but he discovered that seven Adelaide girls between the ages of 15 and 25 years, were gone 52 days.

All the girls came from stable homes, one of them was Veronica Knight, and another was Sylvia Pittman.

The list includes two girls who were matched to the other remains found at the Truro dump to sit.

Vickie Howell, 26 years old, had disappeared on the day after Sylvia Pittman, February 7, 1977, and 16-year-old Connie Jordan, two days after.

All the murdered girls between the ages of 15 to 25, and disappeared over 52 days.

The police received a tip that James William Miller and his jail cell lover Christopher Worrell were linked to the killing.

Miller (above) has been in love with Worrell.

Out of jail, Worrell (above) wanted girls.

Homicide detectives were now in a unique and terrible position for the investigators of a series of murders.

The other three names on their missing persons list had to be out there in the woods.

One belonged to Juliet Mykyta, who had disappeared from a bus stop after finishing a part-time job in the city, on the 21st of January, 1977.

As Juliet’s mother, Anne-Marie Mykyta, would later tell TV reporters Ray Martin, his daughter could not have just left his house and took off.

“(Juliet) practically had the next 10 years provided. Was going to take a degree, and he was going to travel, Mrs Mykyta said.

“It was too ambitions, have suddenly cast that on a whim.”

By May 1979, Adelaide investigators were no longer in the dark about who they were investigating for the murder.

They received a tip-off, two names.

The names belonged to a man he had met in prison and shared a cell in prison, and whose release from prison had almost coincided with the beginning of the series of murders.

Miller leads the detective to the Port Gawler site where the victim Deborah Lamb was buried alive.

Christopher Worrell seems to be attracted to girls and then strangled to death.

Deborah Lamb was buried at Port Gawler beach.

Detective in Ms Lamb’s grave at Port Gawler.

The body count is now five, but two names were on the list, and both disappeared in what was shaping up to be a fatal January and February 1977 the cluster.

Tania Ruth Kenny was only a 15-year-old and had arrived in Adelaide from his home 80km mouth to Victor Harbour.

He began hitchhiking and was picked up.

On the 12th of February 1977, Deborah Lamb was hitchhiking on West Terrace Adelaide CBD when a vehicle is stopped, and took her in his arms.

No girl was seen alive again, but their bodies would be found in Truro.

On the 24th of May 1979, police discovered the body of Juliet Mykyta, “curled up like a cat in wing saltbush, and he took her by the Truro site.

On May 25, 1979, the police cadets search on their hands and knees is Tania Kenny remains in the Dean rifle range, Wingfield, just 12 km north of the point where she had disappeared.

Workers search with the excavated earth of the endowment, in the following, Deborah Lamb remains at Port Gawler the beach, 45 km to the north of Adelaide.

All the victims were strangled, although there was a strong suspicion that the last of them, the Lamb, had been alive when she was buried.

James Miller, in the back of a police car, leaving the scene of the crime at Port Gawler in 1979.

Juliet Mykyta had his life mapped out.

Tania Kenny, 15, was snatched from the street.

Police transport of the bones in a plastic bag after Tania Ruth Kenny remains were found in Wingfield in 1979.

The man that the detective believed he had made all of the seven murders of Christopher Worrell, a charismatic, 23-year-old convicted of the rape that is both beautiful and a psychopath, and James Miller, 40, a rogue and a vagabond. The couple had entered into a sexual relationship in their prison cell.

Worrell preferred sex with females, and after his release from prison, with Miller, went on a spree to collect the girls and killing them.

The killings ended abruptly with Worrell fatal road accident on the 19th of February 1977.

But for that, the criminal profiler believe Worrell would have continued to kill women.

All of the victims accepted rides with Worrell and Miller, only to be bound, or subdued and killed.

In May 1979, the police charged James Miller with a series of murders of Veronica Knight, Sylvia Pittman, Vickie Howell and Connie Jordan.

On the same day, led police to the Truro site where they found the body of Juliet Mykyta.

In July 1979, Miller was charged with the murders of Ms Mykyta, Tania Kenny and Deborah Lamb.

He was convicted of six murders, to the exclusion of the one of Veronica Knight, as part of a joint criminal exercise with Worrell.

Teresa Kellett to his murdered sister Lina Marciano funeral in 1978.

The suspect identikit of Lina Marciano murder.

Lina the killer has never been found.

Re-enactment of Lina’s final moments in the saddle of his bike shortly before she was kidnapped and killed.

Miller has continued to plead his innocence, claiming that Worrell was the instigator, and he died of cancer in Yatala prison in 2008.

Lina Marciano’s murder may have led to the closure for the victims of the Truro murders, but no relief came for his family.

In 1991, a woman who had worked as a cleaner at Nailsworth Primary School at the time Lina disappeared, has contacted the police.

The new information has not led to any arrests.

Ms Marciano’s sister, Teresa Kellett, said in the his family was tortured by not knowing what happened, but described his sister as “a gentle soul with a strong sense of social justice”.

“Unfortunately, his life ended without justice being served to a life that was brutally taken away from her”,” Ms Kellett said.

“We could not be unfairly treated her for no reason at all.

“The police tried very hard and I can not thank you enough and I hope I’m not giving up on her case. He was a fighter so my family and I continue to hope that one day, soon, the killer will do next.

“We have lost so much.”

The cold remains open SA Police files.

City of Evil airs Sunday, 9.30 PM, Nine Network and 9 NOW.

Today, Truro is haunted by the series of crimes that has put the small town on the map.

White Valiant in which the Truro serial killers Christopher Robin Worrell, who died in 1977.