Forensic search begins in Lyn Dawson

Her ex-husband, Chris Dawson, has long been suspected for the disappearance of Lyn, who was last seen in life more than 40 years ago, but he had always said that involvement.

Homicide squad commander detective Superintendent Scott Cook said he had “absolute confidence that the police would be able to lay charges against Mr Dawson, regardless of the fact that the excavation is transformed into evidence of his remains.

The police has started a “hand dig” today, Chris and Lyn former home of Sydney’s northern beaches.

Mr Dawson told police the mother of two children, ran off to join a “cult” in January of 1982.

However, the explosive podcast The Teacher’s pet, produced by The Australian newspaper, has shot holes in the theory and in NSW, the Police today began a new search that might lead to testimony of his suspected murder.

Lyn Dawson who mysteriously disappeared in 1982.

Chris Dawson in the photo with the twin brother of Paul.

“It is the right time for us, for them (the family),” Det Supt Scott Cook told reporters at the Bayview house, where police began digging this morning.

“And ‘ status depends on the conditions of the time and a lot of other issues to get the logistics together to do this. We will have a lot of people here at work. The number of people increases, and decreases as we need to.

“We want to make sure that we can put to bed.”

Lyn’s brother, Greg Simms has said that the family was “a little stunned” by the new research at Bayview on the northern beaches, 36 years after Lyn disappeared.

“We can only hope that you find something. If you find something on which to lay claim to everything we have done,” Mr. Simms said The Australian.

“All that leads to more information that leads to an arrest. If you are Lyn that is a double whammy for us — we have him (Lyn killer) and we also got his way, we are able to put it to rest.”

The excavation began this morning. Image: John Grainger

Police dig until they hit the rock. Image: The Matrix

Mr. Cook said that the police would dig to the bottom of the swimming pool of the hotel and up to when not “touched” in other parts of the garden.

“At the end of the day, it will be a hand-digging,” he added. “Sift will be carried out by machines where we can do that with machines, if you can, will be on hand.

“We have photographs. We had a good understanding of this particular property. We have radar penetration by looking at the ground, there are — there is a lot of work that has been done here.

“It is a complex of block of land, because it is mostly rock, so digging is not easy. Dig up about 300-400mm down is what we are about to enter most of the areas.”

In 2015, detectives of the Homicide Squad’s Unsolved Homicide Unit established Strike Force Scriven to re-examine the circumstances of the 1982 death.

“As part of their ongoing commitment to provide answers to his family, the Strike Force Scriven investigators began a forensic search at Mrs. Dawson’s former home in Bayview,” police said in a press release this morning.

The police began a new dig at the Bayview house. Image Of John Grainger

Ms Dawson’s family is shocked by the news. Image: The Matrix


Lyn and Chris Dawson were childhood sweethearts.

On the surface, they had it all — a healthy relationship, respectable jobs and a house, in an idyllic suburb of Sydney’s northern beaches.

Lyn worked as a nurse, and was seen as a kind and gentle soul. Chris was a famous high school teacher of physical education and sports talent.

In 1980, Chris began a relationship with his 16-year-old Cromer high School student, Joanne Curtis. Their relationship became sexual, and Chris has used the girl as a baby-sitter for his two daughters.

Joanne Curtis in the photo with Chris and Lyn have two daughters, Shanelle, and Sherrin.

He tried to convince the wife to let the girl move into their house for the rest of his school, saying that she came from a broken home and had a violent stepfather. The couple ended up in marriage counselling.

On January 9, 1982, Lyn was due to meet her mother at Northbridge Baths, where Chris has worked.

But Lyn has never arrived. Chris later claimed he left it at a bus stop at Mona Vale, and that she called him later in the day, saying that he needed time for herself.

No more than two days later, Joanne had moved into Chris’ house and the marital bed. He would also wear Lyn jewelry and clothes.

Chris did not report his wife as missing until six weeks later, and told everyone that it had selected to participate in a religious cult.

A body was never found — but they did discover Lyn pink cardigan during a police dig. The chief had cut marks consistent with having been stabbed.

Two coroner later discovered that Lyn was killed by a “known person”, but no charges were ever laid.Former student Chris Dawson admits he made her feel “special”0:45

Michelle Walsh has answered the question that she feels Chris Dawson has been grooming her. Courtesy A Current AffairOn the 10th of September 20186 days ago/display/ Network/National/