It all started with a single store in the centre of Glasgow close to 170 years, but at its height, it became a commercial empire with more than 100 shops, including one of the most famous in the world.
Luxury store Harrods in London has been added to the House of Fraser in 1959, when Hugh Fraser III bid Debenhams to take control of the iconic name.
At the same time, Fraser has also acquired other big names in the major cities such as Kendals in Manchester and Rackhams in Birmingham.
At his death, in 1966, his son, also called Hugh, has continued its expansion through the purchase of more than 50 companies.
But the playboy of the retailer of lifestyle finally caught up with him at the end of the 1970s, when he was found to have been selling shares to fund his gambling addiction.
In 1985, the Fraser dynasty came to an end, the group arrived in the hands of Mohamed Al Fayed.
Thirty years later, the House of Fraser is a still a big name in the British retail, with 59 stores in the high streets and shopping centres across the united KINGDOM and Ireland.
But like many of the united KINGDOM of the tradition of the giants of the retail trade, it is grappling with changes in consumer habits, such as the rise of online shopping, and the cost of a huge bricks and mortar businesses.House of Fraser to close stores in a bid to stay afloat
It has been bought and sold by a number of companies over the decades, and the group has lost in Harrods when Fayed sold House of Fraser, in 1994, but has retained the benchmark of Knightbridge store.
Later its new owners to close stores as they look to turn around the fortunes of the department store chain, which has seen difficult times.
In the course of its expansion in the early 20th Century, the group had Scottish stores with long pedigrees as Arnotts, which could be found from Ayr to Fraserburgh, and the also-endangered baird, who has been in several Lanarkshire towns.
He also had Falconers in Aberdeen and Benzie and Miller in Inverness and Elgin.
Almost all of them have closed over the past 20 years and House of Fraser now has only four points of sale in Scotland.
For 13 years, he has owned Jenners at the east end of Princes Street in Edinburgh.
But there is also a Frasers at the west end of Princes Street, which was formerly known as Binns.
It seems to be a good candidate for closure, and considering the power of the Jenners brand in the capital.
Jenners also has an outlet at Lomond Shores at the south end of Loch Lomond, but the most profitable of the House of Fraser store is the one where it all began, on Glasgow’s Buchanan Street.
On October 17, 1849, James Arthur and Hugh Fraser opened the shop on a site that was a former mansion belonging to Andrew Buchanan, of Glasgow, the most successful of the merchant.
In its early days, Arthur & Fraser was very much a drapery and haberdashery business.
The partnership between Arthur, the conservative accountant, and Fraser, the charming salesman, was dissolved in 1865, with Fraser the formation of a new partnership with Alexander McLaren.
As the business prospered, he eventually made the most of this magnificent building, created in 1885 by another well-loved store, Wylie & Lochhead.
To this day, its elaborate interior made the purchase there was a memorable occasion.
The group’s main period of expansion began in the 1920s, when Hugh Fraser III became the general manager at the age of 21 years.
Hugh, who later was made Lord Fraser of Allander, was started by the purchase of regional store groups Arnott & Co. and Robert Simpson & Sons.
In 1948, he renamed the company House Of Fraser and floated on the London Stock Exchange.
It has also bought non-retail businesses including the Glasgow Herald.
The growth of the group has continued after Lord Fraser’s death in 1966, and at the end of the 70s, he had 112 stores and many other businesses.
In the early 90’s while he was still being held by Fayed, the House of Fraser wide open new stores outside of the city, shopping centres such as Meadowhall in Sheffield and the Lake, in the county of Essex.
But under the new regime, a reorganization resulted in the closure or sale of a number of branches.
Other stores, including many in Scotland, went in the early 2000s.
Despite the acquisition of other stores, such as Jenners in Edinburgh in 2005, and more large stores opening, the company has had trouble keeping up with the evolution of the demand.
In 2014, he was bought by a Chinese conglomerate and control has been taken over by toy store Hamleys and in French, the owner of the Connection C. banner International.
He promised “an important capital injection” for House of Fraser, but the stores will close and rents will be renegotiated.
However, House of Fraser is facing a potentially rocky ride in the finalization of its restructuring plans.
This is all a long way from a Victorian drapers in the centre of Glasgow.