South Korean officials recently returned from North Korea, will meet with Tillerson and McMaster
Two representatives of South Korea arrived in the United States to tell the administration trump about his talks with North Korean leader Kim Jong-UN.
The head of the national security of South Korea Chung EUI-Yong on Thursday arrived from Seoul together with the head of national intelligence With Hoon. As expected, they will discuss last week’s talks with Kim Jong-UN in Pyongyang with U.S. Secretary of state Rex Tillerson and national security adviser G. R. McMaster.
According to Chung EUI-Yong, North Korean leader unexpectedly offered to suspend nuclear tests and ballistic missiles, starting direct talks with the U.S. about its nuclear program, provided security guarantees to the DPRK.
The North and the South also agreed to hold a summit meeting in late April in the border village of Panmunjom.
Speaking Thursday to reporters in Addis Ababa, Tillerson said that the US should maintain “a very sensible and realistic” approach to the issue of negotiations with Pyongyang.
“While we will not be able to meet face-to-face with representatives of North Korea, I can’t tell if now is the conditions in order to even start thinking about negotiations, said Tillerson. â€“ Here is how at the moment the situation”.
President trump expressed cautious optimism, saying this week that Pyongyang apparently “sincere” in its offer to start talks.
After talks in Washington Jong will travel to China and Russia to tell the authorities of these countries on the proposal of Pyongyang, and Hoon will go to Japan. These three countries, along with the US and South Korea, for several years conducted negotiations with Pyongyang about ending its nuclear programme. The talks were suspended in 2008.