The monologue opening at the Golden Globes, can often be more interesting and entertaining than the awards themselves.
The ceremony has only had a regular host since 2010, when Ricky Gervais was hired to front the awards ceremony.
The tone he set has been maintained since then – opening with a short monologue about Hollywood, often makes a mockery of many of the stars of today.
Gervais hosted for four years in total, and other presenters since have included Tina Fey and Amy Poehler, who hosted together since the period 2013-2015 and Jimmy Fallon.
This year, however, was US comedian Seth Meyers ‘ turn to take the reins (although he did have the help of some of the stars to deliver some of their shots).
Here are Seth Meyers ‘ best jokes from his monologue opening:
1. Good evening, ladies and the rest of the knights.
2. Happy New Year, Hollywood! It is the year 2018, the marijuana is finally allowed and sexual harassment, finally, it is not.
3. There is a new era on the way, and I can tell you because it’s been years since a white man is nervous in Hollywood.
4. For the male nominees in the room tonight, this is the first time in three months is not going to be scary to hear his name read aloud.
5. A lot of people thought that it would be more appropriate for a woman to be host of the awards, and they may be right. But if it’s any consolation, I am a man with absolutely no power in Hollywood. I’m not even the most powerful Seth in the room tonight. Hey, remember when [Seth Rogen] was the guy doing problems with North Korea? Simpler times.
6. Hollywood Foreign Press. A string of three words that could not have been better designed to enrage our president. The only name that I could make him more would be the Hillary Mexico Salad of Association.
7. Don’t worry, [Harvey Weinstein] will be back in 20 years, when he becomes the first person ever booed during the In Memoriam [section of the ceremony].
8. I was happy to know that you are going to do another season of House of Cards. Is Christopher Plummer available for that, too? I hope I can do a Southern accent, because Kevin Spacey sure that he could not.
9. The Form of the Water received the most nominations of any film this year. Just an incredibly beautiful movie, but I have to admit that when I first heard about a movie in which a naive young woman falls in love with a disgusting sea monster, I thought, ‘Oh man, not another Woody Allen movie.’
10. The Post is nominated for the best movie of this night. It is a film about integrity in journalism, directed by Steven Spielberg and starring Tom Hanks and Meryl Streep – [member of staff comes to the stage carrying several trophies] – no, not yet, we have to wait. We have to wait and see what happens.
11. Oprah Winfrey is to receive the Cecil B. DeMille Award tonight. What a tremendous honor. By Cecil B. DeMille.
12. The Golden Globes turned 75 this year. But the actress who plays his wife is still only 32.
13. Call Me by Your Name is nominated for best movie. Is a gay from the film era. Kevin Spacey said: “You lost me at ‘the age’.”
14. According to a recent article, only 5% of speaking roles in Hollywood are played by Asian players. But the numbers can be from a white person did the calculations.
15. Sesame Street recently released a parody of the strangest Things Sharing Things. Meanwhile, Bert and Ernie have been doing a parody of the song Call Me By Your Name for years.
16. [The people who work on film sets] are not there thanks to her wealthy father – with the exception that one of the PA. Every movie has at least one super-connected PA who is always late, and you wonder what the hell his deal is, and someone says, “Oh, that’s Jeremy Paramount. Give Jeremy his space”.
17. And now to introduce our first prize… Oh please don’t be two white dudes, please don’t be two white dudes. Oh, thank god. Is Gal Gadot and Dwayne Johnson, all over the world!
Watch Seth Meyers’ monologue from the opening:
Final Youtube, published by NBC
Follow us on Facebookand on Twitter @BBCNewsEnts, or on Instagram in bbcnewsents. If you have a story suggestion email [email protected]