Saint-Petersburg. 30 Dec. INTERFAX – the Restored Church in honor of the Holy Prince Theodore of Novgorod sanctify in the Alexander Nevsky Lavra 2 January, the press service of the St. Petersburg diocese.
The divine Liturgy and the consecration of the temple will be headed by the father superior of the monastery Metropolitan of St. Petersburg and Ladoga Varsonofy.
Two-story Theodore Church was laid by the Italian architect Pietro Antonio Trezzini in the year 1745. In 1770 the upper temple was consecrated in the name of Holy Prince Theodore, the elder brother of Prince Alexander Nevsky, and the bottom – in the name of St. John Chrysostom. In the mid-nineteenth century, both of the Church was redesigned and consecrated anew: the top – in the name of Sainted Nicholas the Wonderworker, the bottom – in the name of Holy Prince Theodore. In the lower Church since 1806 has performed burial, he served as the burial place for members of the Georgian Royal family and bishops.
Lavra Church was closed in 1931. In Soviet times there was a working hostel, woodworking shop, library and a design office. In 1996 began the return of the housings and buildings of the monastery the diocese of St. Petersburg.
Large restoration works were conducted in 2013 for the 300th anniversary of St. Petersburg’s oldest monastery. Restoration of the upper Church Theodore Church was completed in 2017. The work to restore the interior, which lasted more than ten years, was attended by specialists of the Russian Museum, the Hermitage and the Academy of fine arts. In the lower Church restoration continues.