MOSCOW, Nov 19 â€” RIA Novosti. NATO forces will remain in Eastern Europe and the Baltic States for as long as necessary, said NATO Secretary General Jens Stoltenberg at the air canadian radio station CBC.
“It is impossible to give you a specific date. We’ll be there as long as necessary”, â€” said Stoltenberg, answering the question of how long NATO should maintain an increased presence in the Baltic States and Ukraine.
The Secretary General also commented on reports the German media that questioned the possibility of the rapid reaction forces of NATO to blow from the East. Previously the German newspaper Spiegel, citing caught at her disposal a secret report of NATO announced that the Alliance will not be able to make the deployment of troops, if his Eastern European members of the military strike is delivered.
“NATO is ready to defend all allies in the event of any threat. However, given the fact that the threat and the situation in the field of security is changing, NATO is also changing. We are increasing power, we strengthen the combat readiness of our forces, for the first time in our history, we are deploying forces in the Eastern part of our Alliance… We are also strengthening the ability to move forces both in Europe and the North Atlantic region. Thus, we adapt. And that is why we are strong”, â€” said the NATO Secretary General.
Stoltenberg also stressed that NATO plays a key role in the fight against terrorism worldwide, and seeks to prevent the transformation of Afghanistan into “a safe haven for international terrorism”.
“NATO has a very important role, especially in the area of assistance to countries in the Middle East and North Africa to fight terrorism. And what our forces are doing in Afghanistan is our biggest operation. And the reason we are in Afghanistan is to prevent Afghanistan from becoming a safe haven for international terrorism”, â€” said Stoltenberg. History of NATO enlargement