“In 1993, when I returned to the Coca-Cola company and developed the first round of television advertising, we primarily showed footage of Roberto Goizueta (Chairman of the Board and President of Coca-Cola) in his office.
â€“ I don’t like these commercials, he said.
â€“ Look, Roberto, â€” I answered. â€” If you are going to buy up all their products all over the world, then I’m going to do the advertising that you like. Otherwise, I’m going to do what consumers like.
When you understand that marketing is used to sell goods, then money, count on it becoming an investment rather than an costs”
This is an excerpt from great books of Sergio Ziman, who for many years was the chief marketer for such companies as Coca-Cola, PepsiCo, Procter and Gamble and Microsoft.
Even then, back in the 1990s, the success of firms is largely determined by the position of the officers, understanding that the analysis of the interests and behavior of consumers is the basis of not only advertising campaigns, but also the opportunity to scale the business. Since then, the communications market has changed dramatically. And if earlier it was enough to create a striking advertising message “to all” and send it to the most popular TV shows, and then to analyze changes in sales and recognition, it is now all a little differently.
Digital has changed the concept of analysis of advertising campaigns. 10 years ago on the site that it was difficult to call e-commerce, but which is sold, for example, enameled pans with non-stick coating, it was enough to put the counter Hotlog or popular Ukrainian startup â€” Bigmir, and then to come back every day, rejoicing in the increasing number of hits and hosts.
Now, the most popular, but not the only tool Google Analytics in its basic configuration â€” nothing!
At the same time, I still very often confronted with projects which are not just beautiful to print your site address on business cards from a design cardboard and sell it in the Internet using Google Analytics in the “black box”.
What is it? Mode black box copes with such data analysis: How many users visited the site and what happened As with mobile devices, and how with desktop computers From what channels, with what bounce rate is and how many new
And some more data to this level.
Great, you say, a huge amount of information, it would have time to perform.
I do not agree, I will tell you I will try and then tell why.
First, slowing the growth of the number of the Internet users. And if in General the world over the past year it is 10% in the U.S. â€” 4%, in Ukraine â€” 2%, according to the research of the UIA, may 2017 the number of Internet users in Ukraine is not growing (now about 23 million users). This increases the number of e-commerce projects and corporate business, which shifts its focus of finding customers online. The average gain of about 20% per year. There is growing competition.
Second, the dynamics of the modern world demonstrates another important digital business contradiction. Increasing the average stay of the Internet over the last 5 years it has doubled and now the average Ukrainian user spends in the Internet for at least 2 hours. At the same time, decreases the time spent by the user on a particular website.
Last year the average length of stay of the user on the site has decreased by 31% and is now 2:09, compared to 3:03 a year ago.
Wow, so many statistics! And what’s next! And further analysis!
1. Decompose and turn your website inside out, learn everything about your visitors, understand the relationship of the desktop version and mobile, define the most popular time of activity of your audience and use it in advertising campaigns, thoroughly analyze the weaknesses of your site â€” where off buyers, which links/buttons do not click. We had a project where a huge search box, occupied the Central part of the site and the conviction of the leader was to promote specific sales. After you install the advanced Analytics proved that a month from all the clicks of the main page is “smart” window accounts for only 0.006% of the clicks.
As a result, the window was removed, freeing up space and raising the above promotional offers, which increased their conversions by 18%.
2. Think of ROI as for digital projects is necessary and possible. And in order to it was also obviously set up in Analytics is not just a goal, and calculate the value of each of them. Maybe you don’t know, but Google Analytics allows to take into account in the analysis even discounts and sales of your product. Note that it is not enough just to know the channel of purchase. Build multi-channel funnels and assisted conversions define. Now everything is not so black and white, and to make a purchase, the user will find you in many channels. And your task is to determine all of them, understanding the contribution of each.
3. Note that the number is not everything. We are working on a project that has shown excellent growth in traffic, and organic, and reduced conversions. At the first General dimension, show the headmaster looked very nice (she as a leader I love when a graph is continuously rastet). When you change the strategy after six months, traffic has reduced the growth rate, but conversions increased by 43%. And it was under the interests of users of the entry points to the site.
4. Experiment. After analyze the current state of things, will make the right conclusions and implement the changes (and you do implement them, so there will be clear data), go to the tests. Namely, a/b testing. For inspiration here’s two cases.
Consulting services. Changing the name on the button after 2 months of a/b testing showed an increase of conversions by 11% from the button with a new name.
E-commerce. The change in the location of the button “checkout” in the shopping cart based on testing increased the number of decorations 8.7%.
And it will agree with the same advertising investment â€” the net profit of the blue.
5. Think about the future. And it’s in personalization, automation of handling huge amounts of data and samples and, oddly enough, in the visualization of what is happening. How would we not deeply immersed, our mission to our clients, business executives who do not need to understand these rather specific systems, graphically and compactly show the key data. Therefore develop a reporting system, with indicators in the final important for your customer and not for your PPC specialists.
Beautiful creative campaigns and online marketing in the form of a set of digital tools ceases to exist. Marketers that effectively use the individual tools or channels, without building the architecture of the Analytics system and analyzing comprehensively the entire project will be the losers in the competitive battle for consumer logic, consistency and orientation not just for analysis and prediction of the future behavior of consumers.