But others in the state have warned against simply locking up young offenders, with an Aboriginal leader, insisting a new approach is needed.
Three teenagers appeared in Youth Court in Adelaide charged on the events that led to the accident that killed 40 year-old, Lucy Paveley the weekend. They were released after police dropped manslaughter charges on the advice of the DPP.
Ms Paveley was killed instantly when a stolen 4WD slammed into his car. The mother of two children, was on his way to work in a nursing home at the time of the tragedy.
The trio, aged 13, 14 and 15, before the court via video link on Wednesday and were remanded in juvenile custody, to be released in September. The charges relate to events prior to the crash.
Callers to talkback radio in Adelaide have demanded long prison sentences for any person guilty of the incident and have suggested that parents â€” especially 13 and 14 years – should also be held accountable.
John Rau, SA Attorney-General, said that the community expected a strong response to crime and the government was going to give them what they wanted.
Aboriginal elder, Tauto Sansbury told ABC’s 7.30 last night: â€œThrow the book at young criminals is not the answer that we need rehabilitation programs, bot within the system, and to the outside. And these rehabilitation systems are mandatory.â€
Mr Sansbury said that there were pockets of Indigenous communities in South Australia who need help to counter the rise in crime.
He said at 7.30 am, he had already made available to the government for help, but they had not followed. Mr Sansbury said that it was a missed opportunity to try and break the cycle.
â€œWe need to take care of [the] family as well as those of offenders.â€
The Government of south australia has been hoping to pass tough new laws to sentencing. In June, Mr. Rau promised to strengthen laws to ensure that juveniles facing adult court because of the severity of their crimes have been sentenced as adults.
Of the arrested youth, the 15-year-old has been accused of theft and unlawful use of a motor vehicle, while the other two were charged with aggravated serious criminal trespass, theft and unlawful use.
Police minister Peter Malinauskas has described Mrs Paveley of death as a â€œgut wrenching atrocityâ€.
Lucy Paveley was at his place of work when she was killed.
Two other teenagers have also been charged over the accident itself. A 15-year-old boy appeared in Youth Court on Tuesday, and was placed in custody and charged with complicity to involuntary manslaughter, while Lyle Leonard Morrison, 18, has also appeared in the Adelaide Magistrates Court and was remanded in custody on a charge of involuntary manslaughter.
Outside of the Youth Court, Wednesday, a supporter of the three boys said everyone was â€œvery sorryâ€ for what happened to Mrs Paveley.
â€œEverybody is heartbroken,â€ he says.
Mr Malinauskas said that it was important that the people responsible for Ms Paveley of death, have been brought before the law.
â€œWe know that there is a family here in South Australia, which has been absolutely devastated by way of a ridiculous and outrageous act of violence,â€ he said. When asked about the decision to release the boys who were initially accused of murder, and to stop, he said sometimes the legal process â€œmay seem a little messy on the outside.â€
The three boys in front of the court, on Wednesday, did not apply for bail, if a lawyer for a sign of a possible application later.
Prosecutors have indicated that they will oppose any bail application. Director of Public Prosecutions Adam Kimber said in a statement that he could not comment on the events at the court of Tuesday, but has said it has provided advice to the police on the origin of the charges against the three boys.
â€” additional reporting: AAP