The centenary of the revolution at the exhibition in Moscow will tell about the history of the icon, found on the day of abdication of Nicholas II

Moscow. 13 Feb. INTERFAX – Exhibition dedicated to the 100th anniversary of the revolution and the abdication of Nicholas II, will open on March 1 in the Museum-reserve “Kolomenskoye”.

In the center of the exhibition – the story of the Mother of God “sovereign”, which were uncovered in the Church in Kolomenskoye March 15, 1917, the day of abdication of Nicholas II, the press service of the Museum.

The exhibition will present more than 200 exhibits, including relics of the Royal family, a unique testimony of the February revolution of 1917, the materials about the first world war, the February uprising in Petrograd and the overthrow of the monarchy.

“The theme of intercession of the blessed virgin Mary is revealed in the monuments of ancient iconography. Prepared digital exposure on the basis of newsreels, documents, photos,” – said in the message.

The project involves museums and archives of Moscow and Moscow region and St. Petersburg.

It is planned that the 17 may (the tenth anniversary of the signing in Moscow of the Act of canonical communion of the Church in the Fatherland with the Church abroad) will be a presentation of the multimedia version of the exhibition at the Russian centre of science and culture in several foreign countries.

The icon of the Mother of God “Derzhavnaya” is stored in the Kazan Church in Kolomenskoye is one of the main shrines of modern Russia.

The indwelling of the Holy image was seen by the Orthodox as a sign that the Queen of Heaven took Supreme power over the Russian government. Soon large groups of pilgrims began to visit the village of Kolomenskoye, to venerate the icon. The acquisition was preceded by a two-fold appearance of the virgin to a local peasant with orders to find the Shrine in the Church. Vintage image found among the junk.

Icon is notable in that it depicts the virgin seated on a throne and holding in his hands the attributes of Royal power – the scepter and Orb.

In 1929, the icon was placed in the vaults of the State historical Museum. In 1988, when we celebrated the 1000th anniversary of the baptism of Rus, the “Sovereign” icon of the vaults of the Museum was transferred to a temporary exhibition in the Publishing Department of the Patriarchate. When the exhibition was closed, the icon was kept in the altar of the house Church publication Department, and in 1990 at the request of Patriarch Alexy, the Ministry of culture returned the icon to the Kazan Church in Kolomenskoye.