Russia has decided to extend the humanitarian pause in Aleppo

Consequences of the bombing of Aleppo. Photo: October 14, 2016

Humanitarian pause in Aleppo will be extended for another three hours at the request of international organizations. This was stated by the head of the main Directorate of the General staff of the Russian Armed forces, Lieutenant-General Sergey rudskoy, says the Agency “RIA Novosti”.

Thus, the humanitarian pause will last for 11 hours from 08:00 GMT to 19:00 GMT Thursday, October 20.

“The numerous appeals of representatives of international organizations made the decision to extend the humanitarian pause for another three hours until 19 o’clock in the evening”, — said the Armenian President. As said the head of the operational Directorate of the General staff, the extension of the pause “will allow representatives of the UN and the Syrian red Crescent society to implement all measures in ensuring that the sick and wounded, the persons accompanying them, as well as civilians from the city.”

Earlier that Russia has proposed eight hours is not enough to ensure the arrival of trucks of humanitarian organizations in Aleppo, said a spokesman for the UN Stefan Dujarric. At the same time the representative of the organization noted that the UN welcomes “any pause which will actually be realized.”

Monday, 17 October, the General staff of Russia said that Russia is ready to declare a “humanitarian pause” starting October 20. “We are ready for the first application of humanitarian organizations at any time to cease fire and to ensure unhindered access to the city medical personnel and the wounded and sick”, — said the head of the main operational Directorate of the General staff Sergey rudskoy. On 18 October, defense Minister Sergei Shoigu announced that Russian and Syrian air force to cease strikes in Aleppo. According to him, “early termination of air strikes” was “necessary for the introduction of the “humanitarian pause” October 20″.


Photo gallery
Ghost town: how the war changed Aleppo

















The afternoon of September 29 held a regular open meeting of the UN security Council on the humanitarian situation in Syria. After September 19, the Syrian army has announced its withdrawal from the ceasefire…

Showing 7 photos