Ankara responded to the statement of Turkish troops in Syria

The Turkish authorities called “a lie” the statements of Russia that Turkish troops are in Syria. This is with reference to Turkish military reports Reuters.

“14 March 2016 some media have published reports citing a statement “According to our information, they [Turkey] digging a few hundred meters from the border inside Syria,” Minister of foreign Affairs of Russia Sergey Lavrov. These allegations are untrue,” the military said in a statement (quoted by the Daily Sabah).

Yesterday, 13 March, Lavrov in interview to TV channel “REN TV” said that the Russian foreign Ministry has evidence that Turkish soldiers are “digging in a few hundred meters from the border inside Syria.” In his opinion, these actions should be regarded as “creeping expansion”. The Minister noted that their actions Ankara justifies the desire to avoid strengthening the Syrian Kurds.

In early March, Syrian Kurds complained of attacks from Turkey: according to them, two Turkish tanks fired several dozens of shells on their positions in the area of Afrin in the North-West of the country. After that Moscow has demanded from the international community to respond to these attacks. In Ankara stated that the fire was conducted on positions of the Islamic state (a terrorist organization banned in Russia).

On March 4, the Russian defense Ministry said that a column of trucks with arms almost around the clock go from Turkey to areas of Syria controlled by the terrorist groups “dzhebhat EN-Nusra” and “Ahrar al-sham”. It was said that proof of this had been received the day before the film crew of TV channel RT.

Since February 27, in Syria there is a truce, agreed between the USA and Russia. Under the agreement, hostilities continue only against the “Islamic state” and “dzhebhat EN-Nusra” (both groups are banned in Russia) and other terrorist organizations identified by the UN security Council. Ankara has repeatedly stated that the strike solely on the positions of militants IG.