Fraud trial of Tesco executives abandoned

The trial of three former Tesco executives accused of fraud and false accounting has been abandoned.

Chris Bush, Tesco’s former UK boss, John Scouler, Tesco’s former food commercial director and Carl Rogberg, the former UK finance boss on trial for more than four months.

It emerged on Tuesday that Mr Rogberg had a heart attack last Thursday.

The Serious Fraud Office will decide in early March whether to pursue a new job. The man denies the allegations.

Mr Rogberg, of 51 years, remains in the hospital waiting for surgery. His lawyer, read a statement on the steps of Southwark Crown Court: “Mr Rogberg is devastated by the news that the test was interrupted.

“He has waived his right to attend the latter stages, after proving himself for several days, and had participated in the last four and a half months of the study.

“He was always very anxious that the jury should be permitted to reach its verdict and desperately sorry, have not been able to do so.” The frustration

Download the jury, Judge Deborah Taylor said: “it would not be fair or correct to continue with this process”.

Has recognized the impact of the jury: “it’s been a long time and I know that must be very frustrating for you not to come to a conclusion at the end of all your hard work during the course of this trial.”

Nicholas Purnell, QC, representing Mr Rogberg, had asked for the trial to continue, while his client was that of having the treatment.

He told the court: “I think that it would be completely devastated to find out that, as a consequence of what has been, there is a possibility that the process has to start again.”Inflated profits

The three defendants were accused of fraud and false accounting in connection with the retailer’s £250 million accounting scandal.

The criminal charges stemmed from a statement, the supermarket group three-and-a-half years ago.

On the 29th of August 2014, Tesco said it expected profits for the first half of its financial year to be “in the region of £1.1 billion”.

About three weeks later, under the guidance of new chief executive Dave Lewis, Tesco has admitted that the figure had been exaggerated.

In fact, he said that the profits had been boosted by an estimated £250 million.

Further investigation has discovered that irregularities, is concentrated around the UNITED kingdom in the food sector, have also been found in Tesco’s accounts for 2013-14.Delays and holidays

The figures had been flattered by the early recognition of payments by suppliers that sell their products in the supermarket of a point of sale as well as delays in the allocation of costs.

Finally, it was established that Tesco had overstated its profits by £284m.

The three men denied the allegations and argued in court that the SFO investigation was flawed from the beginning.

Initially, the hope was that the case could finish up before Christmas, but the trial has been marked by delays.

The judge fell ill during its synthesis and there was a further pause of two weeks in which the jury went on vacation.

One of the members of the jury had already been discharged by then because of an operation.