EE ‘shoe box to address broadband not-spots

EE

Telecommunications company EE has revealed plans to sell a 4G radio that promises to bring fast broadband internet to thousands of households in rural areas.

EE Simon Until he said that the “shoe box size” antenna would allow more people access to the company’s broadband service 4G.

The company said that it had delivered speeds of 100Mbps to households during a trial in Cumbria.

An analyst said the plan would appeal to people who were not able to obtain high speeds via a broadband fixed line.

“We’ve heard of the farmers to do a similar thing, the placement of masts on their edge of their property, near where the signal is,” said Andrew Ferguson of the news site Thinkbroadband.com.

“The DIY approach has been bubbling up, but EE offered as a service which makes it much more simple.”

EE already offers home broadband, whether through a fixed phone line or through the mobile network 4G.

EE

It was said that its new antenna installation service was designed for homes in areas where fixed line service was poor or not available at all.

Telecommunications watchdog Ofcom defines decent broadband as a speed of 10Mbps for download.

At that speed, downloading a high definition movie could take up to 90 minutes, according to Ofcom.

EE said that its 4G home broadband could deliver download speeds of up to 100 mbps and upload speeds of around 10 mbps.

However, it is possible that the areas that are too remote for the fixed broadband also have poor 4G coverage.

“There may be cases where that is the case, but our network reaches 90% of the united kingdom”, the Lord said To that, referring to the EE geographical coverage throughout the uk.

“If you overlap our network with the households that receive less than 10 mbps of fixed broadband, you get around 580,000 households that we could reach.”Reduction of the interference

EE will charge people £100 to have a broadband antenna installed in your home.

The device is normally mounted high up, in front of the nearest EE mobile phone mast.

It’s going to be connected by a cable to a modem and wifi router inside the property, to give residents access to wireless internet.

The placement of a large antenna outside of reduction of the interference of the walls and double-glazed windows, the Lord said Ferguson.

“Stick the antenna outside and you get a much better signal,” he told the BBC.

“Unfortunately, with what is 4G, that is where the mapping data. If you are one of those binge TV box sets are you going to get through that very quickly.”

EE said that its most expensive package would give households a 200GB monthly data allowance of £60 per month.

The same price of the fixed broadband packages are usually advertised as “unlimited”.

Lord Until he defended the allocation of data and said that EE home broadband customers typically use about 150GB a month.

“If your home has access to fixed broadband, then that would probably be the right choice, but if you can’t, then this is an option,” said the Lord To.

“We are in the business of providing connectivity to those who don’t have it.”

Analysis:

Mark Runnacles

By Rory Cellan-Jones, correspondent of technology

You have hit a goal of giving 95% of households have access to broadband, the government now has a thornier problem working out how to connect the remaining 5%.

So there will be a welcome to the EE initiative, which appears to be a solution for the delivery of the Universal Service Obligation – the right to require a broadband connection of at least 10 mbps.

The government always said that a number of technologies, including 4G, it would have to be implemented if all corners of the united kingdom had an acceptable relationship.

But rural broadband, the organizers of the campaign you’re still not convinced that EE’s 4G in-home services can deliver acceptable speeds at a reasonable price.