James Franco denies harassment claims

Reuters

James Franco has dismissed claims of sexual harassment that were made against him following his best actor win Sunday in the Golden Globe awards.

The actress Ally Sheedy, was one of the the question of his victory, in tweets that have since been deleted. “I have No idea why I was so upset,” he said.

The star also said that other claims made on Twitter “not accurate”.

The New York Times has cancelled an event to promote The Disaster Artist, the film that earned him his Golden Globe.

Franco attended the ceremony of the Globes that he wore a Time pin in his lapel, signaling their support for an initiative aimed at combating sexual harassment in the movie industry and other work places.

That prompted the accusations of sexual misconduct against the 39-year-old actor and director on Twitter from the actresses Sarah Tither-Kaplan and Violet Paley.

Sheedy, for his part, posted a series of cryptic tweets during the ceremony, one of which asked: “Why is James Franco allowed?”

“James Franco just won” another one of your now deleted posts read. “Please, never ask me why I left the film/tv business.””Total respect”

Appear on Stephen Colbert’s CBS talk show on Tuesday, Franco said he was proud of “taking responsibility for the things that I’ve done” and supports the women who come.

“There were some things on Twitter, I have not read, I’ve heard of them,” he said.

Franco said he had “no idea what I did to Ally Sheedy”, the War Games and the Breakfast Club star, who led in a Broadway play in 2014.

“I have No idea why she was upset. She took the tweet down below, I don’t know, I can’t speak for her,” he continued.

“The other,” look, in my life I’m proud to take responsibility for the things that I’ve done. I have to do to maintain my well-being.

“That’s what I do when I know that there is something wrong or needs to be changed. I make it a point to do so.

“The things that I have heard that they were on Twitter are not accurate, but I give all my support to the people who come and being able to have a voice, because they have no voice for so long.

“So, I don’t want to shut them down in anyway. It is, I think, a good thing, and I support it.”

Reuters

Franco and his brother Dave had been due to appear in the New York Times-sponsored event in New York on Wednesday to discuss The Disaster Artist.

In a statement to The Hollywood Reporter, a spokesman for the newspaper said that “it was not a comfortable procedure… given the controversy surrounding the recent allegations”.

Franco won the Golden Globe for best actor in a comedy or musical for his role in The Disaster Artist, which details the making of the notorious 2003 film The Room.

The ceremony this year saw several winners coming from the direction of Hollywood scandal of the sexual abuse in his acceptance speech.

Many of the attendees, for their part, chose to wear black to express solidarity with the victims of sexual abuse and harassment.