Saeed Noori, 32, of Heidelberg West, was accused of 18 counts of attempted murder and one count of conduct endangering life.
According to the Herald Sun, investigators claim he hit the crowd “with the intention to kill or cause injury to as many people as possible.”
Mr. Noori mother, Shakiba Jalaly, was present in the court, and she “burst into tears and rocked back and forth” during the proceedings.
He told the Herald Sun in broken English: “Beautiful child, the medication does not go well. Three years sick, very sick. All the time he’s sick. Very, very nice son. Beautiful son, the medication does not go well, for all the time of the drug.”
She has attempted to take a photograph of his son with his cell phone and approached him in the dock, before being cautioned by the safety, and swung his bag to the media gathered outside the court.
Melbourne man, who fronted court wearing a grey t-shirt and bowed his head as his mother cried, do not apply to the deposit.
Will now be evaluated by a psychiatrist before reappearing on the 27th of December.
It comes after allegations Noori was “rambling” about Allah, and the intelligence agencies ASIO (the Australian Security Intelligence Organisation) from his hospital bed as a result of Thursday afternoon’s rampage.
The police also claim that he spoke of the persecution of Muslims after the attack.
Acting chief commissioner of the Victoria Police Shane Patton told the Herald Sun, there was no evidence the attack was premeditated or the terror.
“I thought that there was something, and I don’t know the exact detail, to do with Allah, and some digressions on ASIO,” Mr Patton said.
“We have not yet excluded the terrorism. We continue to explore. It is to explore the evidence and the evidence will lead to which makes. If this means that it is a terrorist event, so be it.”
Previously, the Victorian, the police said it would investigate 300 so-called “fixed” people,” in an attempt to stop lone-wolf terrorist attacks.
Noori, an Afghan refugee, has a history of mental health problems and drug abuse and has spent a fortnight as an involuntary psychiatric patient at the beginning of this year. He was discharged from the hospital, but remains in the custody of the police.
The police searched for the alleged ice addict for the public housing home and seized the computer, and others, however, have found no link between the Mr Noori and any terrorist organizations.
As a result, the incident was not declared a terrorist attack.
According to The Australian, by February 2018, a newly formed police unit will investigate up to 300 fixed people “potentially violent obsessives who live in a half way point between the crime and the mental illness.”
They will draw upon information on the mental health of the Department of Health and Human Services, and police and intelligence.
“They are divided into three groups of concern: the number one is attached to people, the number of radical groups or violent extremists, and the third group is the lone-actor attackers,” Victoria Police assistant commissioner Ross Guenther said.
Set people units are already operational in NSW and Queensland and abroad, and have played an important role in anti-terror role.
In a press conference on Saturday, Victorian Premier Daniel Andrews has said that there would be an increased police presence throughout the state that follows the “cowardly act” on Flinders Street.
“Victorian police have the resources and the will to do everything that needs to be done to maintain the safety of the community,” he said. “People across Victoria have already noticed an increased presence of the police … and that will continue to grow.
“There will be more Victorian police to things like the Big party, the boxing Day Test Carols by Candlelight and new year’s eve.
“It is important that people follow instructions from members of the security personnel and the Victorian police. It is important that people are patient, cooperative and remain vigilant.”
In the meantime, a red-shirted, bearded man, who was arrested after the shooting of the Flinders Street carnage has been released after it was found it had no links with the attack.
The 24-year-old man, who allegedly had knives and marijuana in his backpack, was released after police determined Mr. Noori acted alone.
Mr. Noori ploughed into pedestrians in Melbourne’s busy Flinders Street around 4:40 on Thursday. Was travelling at 100km/h.
It was revealed that nine of the victims are foreigners, while the oldest victim was an 83-year-old Melbourne man who was seriously injured.
Among the victims are two South Korean men aged 60 years, a four-year-old boy from South Korea, a 40-year-old Venezuelan man, a 25-year-old Irish woman, 45-year-old Indian man, a 24-year-old Chinese man, and other Melbourne local.
It was reported that 12 of the victims remain in hospital, with three in critical condition.
Saeed Noori has lived in Australia since 2004, and is an Australian citizen. Lived in Melbourne for years and was known to the police, following an assault in 2010. It has also been reported that it was in the “mental health plan”.