Gemma Arterton webchat – as it happened

2.09 pm GMT
14:09

That’s all for today

Guardian contributor

GemmaArterton

March 22, 2016 2:04pm

Thank you so much for all these interesting and varied questions – especially those that I don’t have an answer to this still amused me a lot!

2.08 pm GMT
14:08

ID8256164 request:

The teachers to do awareness-raising in schools and universities. Would you be interested in doing a similar job, helping student filmmakers to educational institutes?

Guardian contributor

GemmaArterton

March 22, 2016 2:04pm

My concern about the new generation, it is that everyone wants to be an actor or a model, and they are not the same. As long as it is not to promote the celebrity, I would be happy to talk about what the concept implies. It’s an amazing thing that the course of life – you can learn more about yourself and others, but my concern is that people go into it for the wrong reasons. It may be good for famous people to say hey! Not to do so, for this reason!

I was reading something in The Official recently and famous people, children all want to be a model or an actor – God, it is not as easy as that, and this is not what it is.

I think acting makes you learn what questions are of interest to you. When I started, I really enjoyed acting and telling stories. As the time passed I care more what I say; if I’m going to give myself over to something for five months, that is what moves me about this? Recently, I did a lot of working class girl done good, and that kind of stuff – which is close to my heart. But I have other tastes that are quite absurd – I quite like weird films, and odd theatre. This is a side of me, I don’t really understand, but it is really fascinating to me. Also, if you don’t start developing something yourself, you get what you’re given. And maybe you’re one of fifty people on a list: it is often fairly limited. In order to create things, to steal and creative individuals by saying that the writing of this script, let’s put this game, this is really exciting for me.

2.00 pm GMT
14:00

Mark74 request:

You have a dream project that you’d like to see realized one day?

Guardian contributor

GemmaArterton

March 22, 2016 1:58pm

Yes. It doesn’t say.

2.00 pm GMT
14:00

MorrisMitchener request:

Everything that happens with Hansel & Gretel: Witch Hunters sequel? Loved the first, great fun!

Guardian contributor

GemmaArterton

March 22, 2016 1:58pm

I don’t think so. I enjoyed it, a great director Tommy Wirkola, it;s just made a movie with Noomi rapace, in which she plays seven characters in the same scene. It is really interesting. It has a lovely attitude to work – we had a great time. But I think everyone’s moved on from him – he’s a bit too late to continue with it.

1.58 pm GMT
13:58

Tmstms request:

What should we do for an unknown director to attract the attention of a big name actor like you for his short film? The outstanding script? To get to know your agent? A lot of food on the tray? Would you even consider starring in some no-name film?

Guardian contributor

GemmaArterton

March 22, 2016 1:55pm

If the script was great, yes. It is all about the script. And then I want to meet with the director and know that they have had the vision.

1.57 pm GMT
13:57

My favorite place? The town of Glastonbury, when the festival is not on

Aleshea Simmons request:

What is your favorite place to be, and why?

Guardian contributor

GemmaArterton

March 22, 2016 1:54pm

Glastonbury town, in the summer, not during the festival. Anywhere in Somerset in the summer, in fact – it’s beautiful and serene, and makes me feel good. But not the festival! It is the opposite. I used to go every year as a kid, even if it is a special place for me.

1.55 pm GMT
13:55

Autonova1 request:

What do you think about making a scene? Are you trying to put you in a certain emotional state, or are you thinking of the way in which an observer will see you, without necessarily feeling the emotion?

Guardian contributor

GemmaArterton

March 22, 2016 1:53pm

It really depends on the scene. Some of the scenes you have to prepare for. It depends on where you are in the – for example, if you are to come with a lot of tension and anxiety, you can do yourself to this state. I get myself in a state, and then play the scene, and forget the state. Be with the actor and act with them, rather than playing the emotion, because it’s boring. There is something to say for you to prepare for a scene. In Nell Gwynn, because I’m on stage all the time, I don’t have to prepare as well, it is happening around me. Sometimes, you may be distracted by scenes – particularly onstage, where you’ve been doing it for months. I have to remind myself to be in the moment, and be present in each moment. It helps you stay focused and keeps your energy.

Making the film the more difficult it is to forget the camera, but you know that it is there – if the camera can’t pick up your work, there is no point. If yes, that may be in the mind – what is the camera? This is something that I struggle with.

Update
1.56 pm GMT

1.54 pm GMT
13:54

Make a film in a foreign language, it is like talking through a mask, the key is really, really, really repeat

Seal application:

You are amazing on stage. Tell us if you plan [to be published], the upcoming exhibitions in London.

Also, I have received your performance in Gemma Bovery was special. Can you share some comments about the shooting?

Guardian contributor

GemmaArterton

March 22, 2016 1:50pm

I don’t have other plans for the theatre that I am aware of, but I’m always open. I have good relationships now, I can create things with people, and bring ideas to the table and does not come at the last minute as an actor – which is exciting for me.

Shooting Gemma Bovary was my first French-language film – I have since made another which is mostly in French. It is interesting, you have to relinquish control of different sounds and this is not your first language and you need to let go. It is like talking through a mask, a little, when you speak another language – it is interesting, a different experience.

I think the key for me is really, really, really repeat. I think the repetition is really underestimated! People go into the fresh water, and it is just that – but I think that repetition can make you free. Speaking another language, to not have to think about what I say because I’ve said as much, means that I can be free in my performance. I’m a huge advocate of repetition. It is a shame that, on some movies, you never repeat the actors may not be available. You put in place, and meet for the first time, and do an intense scene – it is quite strange. There is a director in France who never does a second, which is an interesting exercise. It will only happen once, what is magic, but you could have gone somewhere else. There is not a right and a wrong way.

1.49 pm GMT
13:49

DefaultLogin request:

What are the main differences between a pickle and a taste? Which would be more suited to a ploughman’s lunch?

Guardian contributor

GemmaArterton

March 22, 2016 1:44pm

Isn’t it the gherkin just a basic version of delight? I see enjoyment as more of a Waitrose thing, and pickle is an Asda thing. Pickle is the right thing in tiller – relish would be out of the price a labourer.

1.48 pm GMT
13:48

Bumrusherer request:

How have your career goals changed since you started?

Guardian contributor

GemmaArterton

March 22, 2016 1:43pm

Well, I don’t really have career goals when I started. At the theatre school of drilling in your head that you are really lucky, if you ever have a job in order to have a plan, I never thought about that. Now, I have things that I would like to do but I don’t have goals, because it is something that you can get for it, it’s done. I’m on a trip with my work, and I feel in control of the decisions I make, whereas before I was taking everything that was thrown at me, and thanked them for the work.

1 of 3